What is Direct Distribution?
The Direct Distribution feature will allow administrators to place content directly in the end users’ libraries without requiring them to redeem a key. This feature also allows administrators to create both assigned and unassigned keys.
The difference between the two is explained in the “How does Direct Distribution work?” section of this article.
Why use Direct Distribution?
Many administrators want to make the key redemption process simpler for end users and at the same time have an easy way to provide content to a specific list of recipients. Direct Distribution allows administrators to manage the key redemption process for their audience members more efficiently.
This not only eliminates the extra step of redeeming a key by end users, but is also the most secure way to distribute content through Mimeo Digital.
How does Direct Distribution Work?
In addition to the “Content” and “Settings” section on the distribution page, there is now a new section labelled “Keys” for administrators to create assigned keys, unassigned keys, or both. Unassigned keys are unique and shared ones should be familiar to administrators today.
Unassigned keys are created by selecting either "Unique Key" or "Shared Key", entering the quantity, and then selecting “Generate Keys”.
To create assigned keys, the administrator can enter one or more email addresses, and then click the plus button.
- If the end user already has an account with Mimeo Digital, it will add their email and name in the text box provided.
- If the user does not have an account, the administrator will be prompted to enter their name in the text box below "Name". Both the full name and email address of the end user is required so that reporting and distribution information includes both the email and who the recipient is.
Entering a Recipient List
To enter multiple email addresses, the administrator must place a comma between each email address. Please note, there should be NO spaces placed before or after each comma.
The "Total" at the bottom of the distribution window is the sum of both assigned and unassigned keys. Make sure it matches the intended number of keys. Once "Generate Keys" is clicked, the administrator will receive a report which provides links to both assigned and unassigned keys.
- End users who are not registered with Mimeo Digital will need to create an account on the Mimeo Digital “Sign Up” page. Once their account is created, they will need to log in. After logging in, the end user will find that the directly distributed content will already be available inside their library.
- Users with existing accounts will have to log in to Mimeo Digital and view the new content in their library.
Assigning a Key to a User after Distribution
If an administrator creates unassigned keys, there is now an Assign User option on the “Keys” page that allows them to assign content to intended users after a distribution has been made. Often, an administrator doesn't have the contact information for all intended recipients when making a distribution and this allows them to assign keys to users later.
Steps to assign users to unassigned keys:
- The “Keys” option should be selected from the left-hand side menu.
- For each unassigned key, the Assign User button will be available under the “Audience Member” column which allows you to select and enter an email address for the intended user.
The content will then appear in the assigned end user’s library.
I have used Direct Distribution to share content with my class. My end user has registered an account with Digital and is able to log in. However, he/she is still unable to view content in his library.
If you have enabled the “Require email validation’’ option on your Settings > General page, then your end user will have to go and first validate their email address. After validating and logging back into Digital, they will be able to view their content in their library.
I am trying to enter multiple email addresses in the text box, on the “Distributions” page. However, I keep seeing the error icon.
There are two criteria to keep in mind when you are entering multiple addresses in the text box:
- The email ID should be a valid email ID that fulfils all the basic criteria of a valid email address.
- Multiple email addresses should be separated by a comma (,) without any spaces before or after the comma.
How do I know if my content has reached my users when I use Direct Distribution?
When you enter email IDs and select “Generate Keys”, the “Total” is the number of keys that will get generated and redeemed at the same time for the distribution, just like it does when you generate unique or shared keys.
The process of key generation and redemption is the same for both assigned and unassigned keys. The only difference with direct distribution is that your users don’t have to manually redeem a key when they log into their Digital Library since it is already redeemed. So when you distribute content through direct distribution and go to the “Keys” page, you will be able to view the list of keys that were generated and redeemed.
The status of the keys will show “Redeemed” for the distribution, along with the end user details, such as full name and email ID.
Can I revoke a content key distribution that I had distributed through Direct Distribution?
Yes. Content can be revoked for specific users. Even with Direct Distribution, keys are generated and redeemed.
Go to the “Keys” page and you will find all the keys that will show status as “Redeemed”. You can change the status of these keys from “Redeemed to “Revoke” and your intended users will no longer be able to view the content.
Will my users still be able to use all the Digital features if I distribute through Direct Distribution?
Absolutely! Direct Distribution is just an effective and secure method available for administrators to share content directly with intended users, without putting their users go through the hassle of having to manually redeem a key.
It also provides an additional layer of security for administrators, so they don’t have to worry about any misuse of redeemed keys. It has no impact on any of the Digital features whatsoever and the end users will be able to use all features available on the Mimeo Digital application.